[Comm2011] Fwd: Re: some data... to be better analyzed

helmich helmich at astro.rug.nl
Fri Apr 1 17:48:30 CEST 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: some data... to be better analyzed
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 17:30:56 +0200
From: Lothar Noethe <lnoethe at eso.org>
To: Pietro Schipani <pietro.schipani at oacn.inaf.it>

Dear Pietro,

it would be nice if you could generate the PSF anisotropies also for the
images 2011-04-01T06:18:06.160 and 2011-04-01T06:20:30.072.
If the orientations of the elongations do not change, there are two
possibilities.
  1. The defocus range may be too small.
  2. The elongations are, at least partially, generated by coma.
The elongations should, as a function of defocus, first increase
linearly, then reach a maximum and then go down rather slowly.
To check if the range was large enough, one could try to get into the
range above the maximum.
I attached a note describing the expected elongations as functions of
the coefficients of defocus, astigmatism and the seeing.

Ciao
Lothar

--
Lothar Noethe    European Southern Observatory
Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2,  D-85748 Garching bei Muenchen,  Germany.