[Comm2011] seeing/psf for different bands

Edwin A. Valentyn valentyn at astro.rug.nl
Thu Aug 4 00:30:58 CEST 2011

Jeffrey

great we can do this kind of things now so swiftly.!!
and very useful to have this for the standard fields.
I note a few things:
i) PSF systematically gets better towards red
ii) this trend in terms of the fractional difference, say between u and
z stays more or less the same (eg compare good and bad seeing data.

i) is opposed to diffraction effects  and ii) is not what you expect
from incorrect filter-focus offsets, which would more less propagate in
squares.

So, it points to the colour dependency of seeing (so turbulance in the
atmosphere), its well known this is worse at short wavelength, than at
long (so trend opposed to diffraction). However, this trend  does not
have such a strong wavelength dependency as we observed (expect
something like lambda**(1/5) ). So its still somewhat puzzling and
worthwhile to further persue. Likely, we are the first to be able to do
this kind of studies on Paranal skies (and even when done for VLT it
will also be diffrent for a 2.6m  telescope). So this work is worth
publishing and alos of importance for our science.

Although the trend is not what is expected from wrong filter offsets, it
would be re-assureing to make an observation which really demonstrates
we are applying in practice the correct offsets. For instance, we could
bracket a standard star field observation which fi will do u,g,r,i,z
subsequently,  with preceeding an u focus run, and at the end a z focus
run. What about that?
regards
Edwin

--
Prof. Dr. Edwin A. Valentijn       University of Groningen
Coordinator Target                 www   : www.rug.nl/target
NL-9700 AV Groningen               e-mail: valentyn at astro.rug.nl
The Netherlands                    www   : www.astro.rug.nl/~valentyn