[Comm2011] My trip to Paranal toubled

Edwin A. Valentyn valentyn at astro.rug.nl
Mon Jun 13 22:41:07 CEST 2011

Dear all,

On my way to the airport my train was involved in a serious accident
while driving 140 km/hour,  1 fatal victim , passengers were OK but
shocked.

So, I made it only 40km from home.. (Beilen)  The police did not allow
us to leave the train and we were stuck for more then two hours.   After
all, the train could slowly drive to Zwolle, another 60 km.  After all
these delays there was no way to make it in time to the airport.  I
would have taken  the 150km  taxiride if we would have allowed to leave
the train. There were no alternative flights tonight.
After a complicated return journey I'm  back at home now.
Obviously,  I cannot arrive at Santiago Tuesday morning. Parlogs, can
you please inform taxi, guesthouse.

Since my ticket was booked by a travel agency (closed on monday-holiday)
KLM could only partly help me, and at this moment I have no idea how I
can make  the travel, and re-use my ticket- Extra complication is that
the same flight does not fly tomorrow.
I really regret all this and I'll inform you as soon as I can.

regards
Edwin

--
Prof. Dr. Edwin A. Valentijn       University of Groningen
Coordinator Target                 www   : www.rug.nl/target
NL-9700 AV Groningen               e-mail: valentyn at astro.rug.nl
The Netherlands                    www   : www.astro.rug.nl/~valentyn