[Comm2011] ROTATOR ANGLE and comments on OCAM2 daily log day 10

Edwin A. Valentyn valentyn at astro.rug.nl
Thu Jun 16 13:51:00 CEST 2011

Thanks Gert,

few comments

On 16-6-2011 1:30, Gert Sikkema wrote:

> dear all,
>
>  I made a list of all 32 CCD pointings observerd so far:
>
> B,V, u, g(2x), i, z(2x)
>
> g and z were observed two times, but the first of each of these bands
> was done with cirrus in the sky, this can at least be seen in my
> analysis of g.
>
> I also analyzed the u band data of SA113, but the resulst of this do
> not make any sense ( I included both gain and/or QE corrections), I do
> not see a smooth picture, but many discrete off-sets of magnitudes
> between chips.
>
> , I can think of several causes:
>
> -) it may be due to bad observing conditions (zeropoints of chips
> fluctuating),
>
> -) the flat field used is not OK (only twilights, remember that the
> dome flats are useless)
>
> -) the QE has a large gradient as a function of wavelength at low
> wavelengths, my correction based the 360 nm part of table 2.A.1 of
> Fabrice his thesis may not be a good estimate of the QE.
>
> -) another possibility is that the standard star catalog is not really
> good here (however the scatter was only ~0.05 mags for each chip using
> ~30 standard stars )
>
> So...if you have some time left it may be a good idea to re-observe in
> the u band in <very> good conditions at SA107

True.
Indeed we are faced with large colour terms in u, and it will take some
effort to work these out.
on
http://www.astro-wise.org/~omegacam/preparing_obs/throughput.jpg
you can see why this term are so large

> ---------------------------------
>
> ROTATOR ANGLE
>
> another point I would like to verify with you concerns the rotator angle:
>
> the illumation variations of the astronomical objects in a reduced
> science frame are mainly caused by the (twilight) flat fields used.
>
> This means that the illumination correction is only dependend on the
> rotator angle of the twilight flat field and not on the rotator angles
> of the science frames
>
> Not that a varying illumination will also occur in the sky background
> --> this DOES depend on the rotator angle of the science frames.
> Deviding this with an (twilight) flatfield with another rotation angle
> will cause some strange effects on the sky background.
>
> So if we want to use a default illumination correction frame in the
> future, this should mean that the twilight frames in observing mode
> should always have a similar rotation angle as the ones used for the
> twilight flatframes that were used to calculate the default
> illumination correction frame...

I'm afraid you are right, in case we make nightsky flats, but not if we
simply apply twilight flats and let the sky- substraction in Sextractor
do the rest for cataloguing.
For making nice images with flat sky you point is also valid of course-
but this is more cosmetic.

regards
Edwin

--
Prof. Dr. Edwin A. Valentijn       University of Groningen
Coordinator Target                 www   : www.rug.nl/target
NL-9700 AV Groningen               e-mail: valentyn at astro.rug.nl
The Netherlands                    www   : www.astro.rug.nl/~valentyn