[Comm2011] ROTATOR ANGLE and comments on OCAM2 daily log day 10

Gert Sikkema sikkema at astro.rug.nl
Thu Jun 16 14:02:29 CEST 2011

  Oops sorry , I see they are in the log sheet pf 14/15 june, day 9,
sorry bothering you all ...
         Gijs: when did you observe the rotator TWILIGHTS in r?

 GS

 On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:30:36 +0200, Gert Sikkema  wrote:

 dear all,

  I made a list of all 32 CCD pointings observerd so far:

 B,V, u, g(2x), i, z(2x)

 g and z were observed two times, but the first of each of these
bands was done with cirrus in the sky, this can at least be seen in
my analysis of g.

 I also analyzed the u band data of SA113, but the resulst of this do
not make any sense ( I included both gain and/or QE corrections), I do
not see a smooth picture, but many discrete off-sets of magnitudes
between chips.

 , I can think of several causes:

 -) it may be due to bad observing conditions (zeropoints of chips
fluctuating),

 -) the flat field used is not OK (only twilights, remember that the
dome flats are useless)

 -) the QE has a large gradient as a function of
wavelength at low
wavelengths, my correction based the 360 nm part of table 2.A.1 of
Fabrice his thesis may not be a good estimate of the QE.

 -) another possibility is that the standard star catalog is not
really good here (however the scatter was only ~0.05 mags for each
chip using ~30 standard stars )

 So...if you have some time left it may be a good idea to re-observe
in the u band in  good conditions at SA107

 ---------------------------------

 ROTATOR ANGLE

 another point I would like to verify with you concerns the rotator
angle:

 the illumation variations of the astronomical objects in a reduced
science frame are mainly caused by the (twilight) flat fields used.

 This means that the illumination correction is only dependend on the
rotator angle of the twilight flat field and not on the rotator angles
of the science frames

 Not that a varying illumination will also occur in the sky
background --> this DOES depend on the rotator angle of the
science
frames. Deviding this with an (twilight) flatfield with another
rotation angle will cause some strange effects on the sky background.

 So if we want to use a default illumination correction frame in the
future, this should mean that the twilight frames in observing mode
should always have a similar rotation angle as the ones used for the
twilight flatframes that were used to calculate the default
illumination correction frame...

  Gert S.