[Comm2011] First light with VST!

E. Helmich e.m.helmich at astro.rug.nl
Tue Mar 29 12:42:30 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

Great news! Tonight we had first light!

Olaf, Christoph et. all managed to connect all the CCDs yesterday just
before twilight. So we have observed through the night.

We've had images up to about 0.6'' seeing. The data are being sent to
Garching with Evalso, as John already noted.

There appears to be a tilt (see PSF anisotropy attached). So far the
images look very good cosmetically. There is clear crosstalk between
CCDs 95 and 96 as can be seen in the two 120s exposures we took (the
longest ones we did), but apparently few reflections from bright stars.

Regards,

Ewout