[KIDS] QC coadds for KiDS-INT-DR2

Gijs Verdoes Kleijn verdoes at astro.rug.nl
Mon Dec 3 00:59:31 CET 2012

Dear Lino and Fedor,

Thanks for this analysis. I think it is an insightful comparison to test
homogeneity over coadds. I have included these results in the release
table on photometric homogeneity. I propose to put this comparison also
in the synoptic table plots.

A few points follow below.
Best wishes, Gijs

Op 2-12-2012 3:51, aniello grado schreef:
>   Dear Gijs and Jelte,
>
>   As agreed in the last teleconf we made the comparison between SDSS
>   (catalogs provided by Mario) and KIDS catalogues (from the catalogs
>   group) for the coadds flagged as zero.  For the SDSS we adopt the
>   psfmag beeing interested in comparing stars magnitudes. For the KIDS
>   we adopt the aperture magnitude at 20 pixels,  an aperture corrections
>   was calculated as the difference between mag_auto and mag_aper for the
>   stars with magnitude between 16 and 17. This is indeed a very crude
>   aperture correction and somehow arbitrary choice but in this way we
>   have a consistent view of systematic offset between SDSS and KIDS.
>   Clearly the final test would be to evaluate PSF magnitudes on KIDS!!
>   The range in ra and dec was divided in 25 intervals and the median of
>   the magnitudes difference between SDSS and KIDS was calculated.
What's the typical #stars per interval?
>   We select high signal to noise stars  which have a psfmagerr < 0.03.
>   Indeed we perform the tests for all the 52 coadds and this is what you
>   get in the attached tar.
>   The first plot shows the delta mag as function of RA. Overplotted is
>   the line interpolating the median values. The same as function of DEC.
>   The last plot shows in arbitrary colors the deltamag vs RA and DEC
>   (just to have a 2D impression of systematics trends).
Systematics seem mild but also seem chip-related often. Shows we have
handle to improve homogeneity further.
> As bonus track in the next mail you will get an animated gif of such
> plots (too big to be attached here).
>
>   Also is attached a file with tile_name min, max and max-min median
>   magnitude differences between SDSS and KIDS. The last column (max-min)
>   gives an indication about the biggest difference of a median filtered
>   magnitude variation in the field of view compared to SDSS. The file
> is ordered as increasing (max-min).
Will be interesting to compare to the KiDS-internal counterpart
measurement. Currently this can come from min-max analysis in KiDS-KiDS
coadd-overlaps. Gives a baseline on homogeneity from edge to edge in the
OmegaCAM mosaic. Later on ATLAS-KiDS will add more "baselines" within
mosaic to test homogeneity over.
Best wishes, Gijs

--
|dr Gijs Verdoes Kleijn         |   astronomer                     |
|e-mail: verdoes at astro.rug.nl   |   OmegaCEN / Kapteyn Institute / |