[Comm2011] Fwd: some data... to be better analyzed

helmich helmich at astro.rug.nl
Fri Apr 1 15:49:05 CEST 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: some data... to be better analyzed
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:05:12 +0200
From: Pietro Schipani <pietro.schipani at oacn.inaf.it>
To: Lothar Noethe <lnoethe at eso.org>, Konrad Kuijken
<kuijken at strw.leidenuniv.nl>

Dear Konrad and Lothar,

1) during this night we have produced some sets of through focus images,
using an observation block (donuts) which takes first an image of the
field and then two defocus images (moving M2 by -0.2 and +0.2mm). I have
not had a look yet, we are producing more data than I can analyze
quickly...

The fits files are automatically copied through EVALSO to Garching, from
which I could access asking Stefano Zampieri (the files are there for
some days, then they are deleted for storage problems).

For example a set of such 3 images (taken at rot angle=0) is in the
folder /OMEGA/2011-03-31/raw

OMEGA.2011-04-01T06:18:06.160.fits.fz
OMEGA.2011-04-01T06:19:03.501.fits.fz
OMEGA.2011-04-01T06:20:30.072.fits.fz

The PSF anisotropy of the first one is shown in the attached image
061806.jpg.

In the same folder there are also other sequences at  rot=90-180-270,
starting at

rot=0: 06:18:06
rot=90: 06:31:40
rot=180: 06:42:27
rot=-90: 06:54:31

2) We also took focus sequences (2 fits files each, image + focus
sequence) at the same rot angles (physical angles) in order to measure
the tilt.

rot=0: 06:05:00
rot=90: 06:25:30
rot=180: 06:36:52
rot=-90: 06:48:53

but I still was not able to analyze the data with the Konrad's program,
it has failed but maybe it's my fault.

These tests have been  done at an altitude angle of about 50 deg.

3) We measured defocus differences with the Shack-Hartmann with the
probe at 0-90-180-270. They were quite repeatable at least at the same
altitude angle, but could depend on the probe arm itself in principle.
So we really need the cross-check with data taken with OmegaCAM.

4) Measuring the PSF anisotropy of one image we obtained a not expected
very flat PSF anisotropy, with a FWHM between 3 and 4 pixels. I attach
the figure for reference.

Maybe you can help us in some way...

Ciao,
Pietro