[Comm2011] Astrometry header items

John P. McFarland mcfarland at astro.rug.nl
Thu Apr 14 15:02:13 CEST 2011

Hi Ewout,

I found in the headers for all OBJECT-type observations that the standard
astrometry keywords indicate a pixel-based system with RA and DEC keywords
added.  The keywords present and their values are as follows:

RA/DEC = telescope CRVAL1/2 values
CTYPEn = PIXEL
CRVALn = 1.0
CDELTn = 1.0
CRPIXn = original values for each chip
CDm_n  = <missing>

The HeaderTranslatorOCAM adds to the headers of the RawScienceFrames the
nominal values from the expected parameters:

CTYPEn = RA,DEC--TAN
CRVALn = telescope RA/DEC values from header
CRPIXn = original values for each chip
CDm_n  = from chip schematic diagram

These last ones should nominally be set properly at the telescope,
particularly the CDm_n values as these indicate the possibly variable
position of the rotator with respect to the sky.

Cheers,

-=John