[Comm2011] archival OmegaCAM detector data?

Gijs Verdoes Kleijn verdoes at astro.rug.nl
Tue Mar 29 12:53:19 CEST 2011

Hi Gijs, John,

we have run into some apparent problem with the OmegaCAM science mosaic,
and Konrad amd Ewout suggested that I contact you.

*What we see*
Bright stars saturate well below 2^16-1 ADU.  Often, this happens at
57,000 ADUs; only the brightest stars reach 62,500 ADU.  The cores of
such images have a flat plateau.  This is true for all CCDs (quite a
few) in the mosaic that I've checked.

*What else we know*
The CCD test reports from e2v show full-well capacities of between
220,000 and 340,000 e-/pixel.  You have previously determined gains of
2.2-2.4 e-/ADU.  A quick on-line estimate here suggests ~2, which I
consider consistent.  A gain of 2.3 e- would imply 150,000 e- @ 65,535
ADUs, well below physical full well.  FORS2 CCDs from the same batch
have a gain of 2.4 and don't run into physical saturation before the
limit of the A/D converter is reached.

*What we suspect*
The numbers for OmegaCAM do not match.  Since the entire science mosaic
seems affected, the problem must be basic.  It could be a wrong gain
setting by S/W or H/W or similar.  Olaf had no time yet to look into this.

*What could help us
*It would be great if you could search your archive for images*
*containing saturated pixels with a value of 65535 (=2^16-1).  Don't
send us such images.  It will be sufficient if you could provide a brief
description.  Ideal would it be if you found a CCD with a (partial) hot
column.  In that case, give as us the location or name of the chip and
the column number.  The faulty CCD that was replaced in 2009 might also
have shown such saturated columns.

If you do not find anything quickly, suspend your work and let us know
how you've proceeded.  We would, then, tell you whether it makes sense
to continue.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
*
*Best regards,

Dietrich.  *
*

--
Dietrich Baade
ESO - European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere