[Comm2011] Filters and MIDAS procedure

E. Helmich e.m.helmich at astro.rug.nl
Tue Mar 29 15:39:44 CEST 2011

Hi John,

About the second question: I'm afraid we may have a bigger problem with the
optical quality than a simple tilt. The PSF Anisotropy plots have fairly
complex systematics in them; when I run through the MIDAS procedure with
our focus sequences I likewise see something that simply is not well
described by a plane.

The way I go though the MIDAS procedure is like this:

Sketch of each CCD:

---------------  <---- overscan
_______________
_______________  <---- step function in background
_______________
        0         <---- last subexposure (real position in focal plane,
click first in MIDAS)
        0
        .
        .
        0         <---- first subexposure
_______________

1) Split.py on Focus sequence
2) Copy the split data to working dir
3) Delete all WCS header items from those files
4) "inmidas" to start midas
5) Open up the original MEF in skycat for reference and to see the location
of the step function (go through the list of extensions from top to bottom)
6) create/display
7) load/image <same extension as in skycat> scale=fit   (if you need to
shift a little use "center=1000,1000"
8) @ tplTFocus.prg
9) Paste filename of extension
10) Click through sequence from the last subexposure to the first
subexposure, right click to finish
11) Copy MIDAS output line (the one with the filename) to text file
12) clear/display
13) clear/graph
14) Go to next extension

Ewout