[KIDS] Fwd: An issue with OmegaCAM image quality (IQ) between March 22 - 30

Gijs Verdoes Kleijn verdoes at astro.rug.nl
Tue Apr 10 11:38:57 CEST 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	An issue with OmegaCAM image quality (IQ) between March 22 - 30
Date: 	Mon, 9 Apr 2012 11:02:27 +0200
From: 	Mark Neeser <mneeser at eso.org>
To: 	Gijs Verdoes Kleijn <verdoes at astro.rug.nl>, jelte at strw.leidenuniv.nl

Dear Gijs and Jelte,

between about March 22 and 30, 2012 we experienced some severe IQ
degradation within VST/OmegaCAM.

This was due to a tilt of the focal plane with respect to the detector,
combined with a bad pointing offset (PPRS 044520).
Thomas Szeifert has temporarily solved this by updating the reference
positions for M2.  The root cause is probably the M2 error that
occured on March 22 (PPRS 44431).    We are investigating this in order
to prevent this from happening in the future.

In any case keep an eye on the data between these dates.

Cheers, and happy easter,

Mark

=======================================

Dr. Mark J. Neeser

ESO - European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern
Hemisphere
Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2
D-85748 Garching, Germany

Office:  IPP 227

Tel:  +49-89-3200-6874
Fax: +49-89-3200-6677

email: mneeser at eso.org <mailto:mneeser at eso.org>

--
|dr Gijs Verdoes Kleijn         |   astronomer                     |
|e-mail: verdoes at astro.rug.nl   |   OmegaCEN / Kapteyn Institute / |