[KIDS] QC coadds for KiDS-INT-DR2

Gijs Verdoes Kleijn verdoes at astro.rug.nl
Thu Nov 15 12:13:36 CET 2012

Dear COADD-QC-TEAM, dear Nicola as lead of QC catalog team.

We have the following QC checks in place:

  *
    DONE: visual inspection (using QualityWISE), to identify processing
    issues
  *
    DONE?/EMH: PSF difference between CoaddedRegriddedFrame and input
    ReducedScienceFrames: see verify method in RegriddedFrame.py
    <http://www.astro-wise.org/viewvc/awe/astro/main/RegriddedFrame.py?view=markup&sortby=file&sortdir=down>
  *
    DONE: consistency check on input RegriddedFrames

These are either in the general verify method for CoaddedRegriddedFrames
in RegriddedFrame.py
<http://www.astro-wise.org/viewvc/awe/astro/main/RegriddedFrame.py?view=markup&sortby=file&sortdir=down>
or the KiDS-INT-DR2 specific code: qcCoadd_INTDR2.py
<http://www.astro-wise.org/viewvc/awe/astro/experimental/kids/qcCoadd_INTDR2.py?view=markup&sortby=date>

I propose as next step deciding which additional checks are needed for
KiDS-INT-DR2 at coadd level:
  * AG+GVK+team: completion of QC coadd checks, using QC criteria coadd
<http://wiki.astro-wise.org/projects:kids:survey_task_teams:coadds#quality_criteria_for_coaddedregriddedframes>
as starting point.

For this we need to define the scope of QC coadd: where does QC coadd
end and QC catalog begin. I think a clear division is to leave to QC
catalog team als those QC checks that can only be done well with good
catalogs. So also those that check rather the coadd quality then catalog
quality. QC coadd lead Lino + Gijs can be liaison to QC catalog team to
help the QC catalog team in those cases.

What does QC coadd team deliver for KiDS-INT-DR2?:
My proposal:
1.the QualityWISE page: those we have in hand, they come for free with
Astro-WISE coadd production. Input on improving the plots presented
there is welcome.
2. A set of additional plots and/or numbers per coadd that complements
the QualityWISE page with KiDS-INT-DR2 specific stuff. This can be
either presented as one page per coadd or gallery of a certain plot for
the 52 coadds. Danny is looking into this. I see this set as an
experiment from which we can choose how to develop QualityWISE further
after KiDS team meeting in December.

Discussion has opened: all input welcomed (keep emailing
kids at astro-wise.org!)

Above information and more is contained at our wiki spot for
COADD-QC-KIDS-INT-DR2:
http://wiki.astro-wise.org/projects:kids:data_deliveries:internaldelivery2.0_scratch#qc_based_on_coaddedregriddedframes

Best wishes, Gijs

--
|dr Gijs Verdoes Kleijn         |   astronomer                     |
|e-mail: verdoes at astro.rug.nl   |   OmegaCEN / Kapteyn Institute / |