[KIDS] KIDSCAT mag lim implementation

Francesco La Barbera flabarber at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 09:53:09 CET 2012

Dear Gijs, et al.,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Gijs Verdoes Kleijn
<verdoes at astro.rug.nl>wrote:

> Dear Francesco et al,
>
> Many thanks for the input Francesco. I bring this conversation now into
> the mailinglist space to ease following the discussion.

OK!

> I ran the procedure for all 52 fields. The procedure produces a single
>> plot, with SNR as a function
>> of 2'' diameter mag. One example is attached here, for the field
>> KIDS_185.0_1.5.r.
>> Black points are all good (flag==0) objects in the field. In red you can
>> see the median trend, while
>> the blue curve is the analytic fit
>> p_1*flux/(p_2*flux+p_3)
>> where p_1, p_2, and p_3 are free fitting parameters.
>>
> Looks good! Could you share the script you are using? Then Hugo and I will
> make a python version of it as part of the QC script for sourcelists.

I'm attaching here the fortran program, which is part of KIDSCAT now. In
order to compile it, you
need the port library+pgplot. Binary versions of these libraries were
already included in the first KIDSCAT internal release. You should have
them already, otherwise, pls, just lemme know.

> The series of 4 (5?) curves are due to discrete steps in integration times
> due to the dither pattern, right?
> The displacement in magnitude seem in rough agreement with that idea:
> 0.24227503252014099
> 0.55462187404089092
> 1.7474250108400469
> 0.99485002168009395
>

> Yup, different patterns correspond to objects in regions with different
texp (because of dithering).
Your figures further confirm this.

>> The analytic fit is used to compute the typical mag corresponding to
>> SNR_LIMIT=5 (see dashed and
>> solid black lines in the plot). This is our limiting mag.
>> The procedure also computes the same kind of limit but for different
>> SNR_LIMIT(i.e. 10 and 15). These
>> values are stored in an ascii file (MLIM.dat), into the subdirectory
>> OUTPUT_RES.
>>
> Good. Please store the analytic fit parameters as well. Those will come in
> handy.
>
> Done. In the ascii file MLIM.dat, we also have now a third column with p_i.

>> I made some tests according to what we mentioned some time ago:
>> 1) I can confirm that computing SNR from either FLUXERR or MAGERR doesn't
>> make any difference at all (just a sanity check);
>>
> Good.
>
>  2) using different detection tresholds does not change significantly the
>> mag lim estimates; the second attached plot
>> shows the effect of decreasing DETECT_TRESH from 2.5 to 2.0 for the same
>> fit as in the example. The mag lim goes
>> from 24.77 to 24.78!!
>>
> Good to know MAG_APER at 2" diameter is very insensitive to this change in
> DETECT_THRESH. That might be different for e..g, MAG_ISO. For now I think
> it is enough to restrict the lim. mag. analysis to MAG_APER with 2". For
> those we have predictions we can compare to (in KiDS proposal). KiDS team
> meeting is a good opportunity if/how we need to extend the lim. mag.
> analysis.

Could you kindly provide us the predictions (the ones in hte porposal) for
different wavebands ? We (Nicola+me) are performing a systematic comparison
to predicted mag_lim's, and want to be sure to use correct values.

Of course, the meeting will be an excellenet opportunity to discuss
possible extensions....

Cheers!
F.

Best wishes, Gijs