[KIDS] Improved background subtraction to remove CCD edge vignetting

Hugo Buddelmeijer buddel at astro.rug.nl
Fri Jan 18 13:13:12 CET 2013

Hi all,

Thanks for doing the comparisons Nicola and Francesco. I did a similar
comparison as well.

Attached are the 4 KIDS_184.0_-1.5 with overplotted those sources where
the new background subtraction has the largest effect.

For every source the difference in the 20arcsec aperture magnitude
before and after correction is derived. A source is included in the
figure if the absolute difference is larger than 1.5 the error on the
original magnitude. No magnitude limit is applied.

The size of the circles is based on this offset:
  size = abs(MAG_APER_20_new - MAG_APER_20_old) - 1.5*MAGERR_APER_20_old
The 10 circles on the bottom represent offsets of 0.1 to 1.0 magnitude.
Red circles have IMAFLAGS_ISO > 0.

In i and r there is a clear change in the bar regions, and in CCD 82. In
u and g there is hardly any effect in the bar region. In all bands there
are effects outside the bar region for a handful of sources. The biggest
differences are in crowded areas (~concentric circles), so these might
also be caused by misidentification.

I'll put the code to make the figures on the CVS later. Perhaps it is
worthwhile to make some magnitude cut instead of including also the very
faintest sources.

Hugo