[WP3] Connecting to the Oracle Internet Directory

Danny R. Boxhoorn danny at astro.rug.nl
Tue Jan 20 14:22:43 CET 2004

Hello all,

One of the tasks in setting up the federation is user authentication.
Jan and I have made the first steps for that over the last weeks, and now
I would like the others to try this as well.

This time I cover the authentication with the directory server.

1) Startup `oidadmin'

2) Login with, User:, Password: and Server: as follows

   cn=<your_aw_name>, cn=Users, dc=aw
   ldap.astro-wise.org

   You will need an initial password. Send an e-mail directly to me and
   I will send you the password.

3) Goto "Entry Management" -> dc=aw -> cn=Users -> cn=<your_aw_name>

4) Change the "userpassword:" entry on the right and press apply.
   Note that your password needs to mix letters and digits and has to be
   of minimum. Otherwise the `oidadmin' application can respond with a
   very cryptic error.

<your_aw_name> is your username according to `dbnewuser' convention, so
`aw' followed by your first initial followed by your last name.

The next step is to create an entry for your database machine in the
directory. The details will be explained in the next e-mail.

                                                   Danny