[Comm2011] Status

helmich helmich at astro.rug.nl
Fri Apr 29 15:11:48 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

Part of this mail is covered in previous mails. The first day we have
spent mostly on gain, readnoise, quickcheck etc. meant to determine
the best FIERA/preamp settings. I think we have not reached an
optimal solution. Input from Groningen is appreciated: Olaf & co from
ESO are very eager to get this out of the way, and for us it is best
as well if we can settle on final settings now. With the FIERA
filtering changed and the preamp increased as well, we get saturation
at ~65000 ADU. Gain is relatively high ~2.5e/ADU. Readnoise in ADU is
~2.0 ADU, but in e is high ~5.0 e- (sometimes higher, and therefore
slightly outside specificiations).

If we cannot accept this, then changes of hardware components are
necessary. Obviously, if we can be satisfied with the current setup
this is convenient.

Yesterday was spent with us doing readnoise, quickcheck, bias, in the
morning while afterwards Olaf worked on the instrument. In the
afternoon Bernard & co arrived and they've been
working on shimming.
This will continue today and Bernard estimates is finished this
evening at the earliest.

Regards,

Ewout