[KIDS] Improved background subtraction to remove CCD edge vignetting

Nicola R. Napolitano napolita at na.astro.it
Fri Jan 18 12:09:25 CET 2013

Hi Hugo and everybody,

Francesco and I finally got the chance to check the photometry on the
post improved background subtraction algorithm (IBSA) from Hugo. The
IBSA is very well improving the object detection as the more regular
background structure prevents spurious source extraction. It remained to
figure out whether the new background affects object photometry.

To assess this we have compared KIDSCAT magnitudes within 5'' diameter
apertures against SDSS petrosian magnitudes.

We have considered the KIDS_175.0_-0.5i field (see Fig. 1 before and
after IBSA on the left and right panel respectively) since all others
coadds from Hugo were mostly showing less severe horizontal features.

We have first concentrated on the area affected by the CCD82 vignetting
where the background correction has to have been stronger (green area in
Fig. 1).
Here we have considered all flag=0 sources from KIDSCAT matched to SDSS
and computed  the delta_mag  for images  before-IBSA and after-IBSA. We
have selected about 900 sources in the three catalogs.

The delta mags are plotted in Fig. 2 (delta_mag= mag_SDSS-mag_KCAT). We
have selected only sources brighter than 21 (SDSS i-band). Objects have
generally consistent magnitudes (mean~-0.06 both before and after IBSA
respectively, mostly due to an aperture effect) while the scatter of the
histogram grows after IBSA (sig=0.20, 0.26 before and after IBSA,
respectively), in particular because of an excess of sources after IBSA
in the negative tail. We have checked that this tails is not mag
dependent. Thus there seems that the IBSA possibly subtracts some of the
source flux. This likely happens for ~20% of the sources in the given
CCD82-selected area.

We have made the same plot for the whole image in order to see whether
this effect is present also in the area with less problematic
background. The delta_mag plot is shown in Fig. 3. Here we see that the
two distributions, although presenting yet a negative tail, are much
more overlapping with each other, which means that the overall
photometry on the whole field is almost unchanged. Thus the IBSA does
introduces a difference in the photometry, but apparently this is mainly
affecting sources in regions affected by strong horizontal features.

Conclusions: IBSA improves  source detection  without basically
affecting the source photometry in the regions with moderate BKG
variation (e.g.  normal CCD gaps), while it can introduce some
photometry variation in the area of strong CCD vignetting. We propose to
add a flag to the catalog for these latter cases in order to warn about
photometric reliability due to CCD failures.

Cheers,

Nicola and Francesco

On 1/10/13 11:30 AM, Hugo Buddelmeijer wrote:
> Hi Nicola,
>
> Thanks for testing that the bar removal indeed improved KIDS_175.0_-0.5
> i as well, indeed a troublesome observation.
>
> We decided in the telecon to check the effect on the photometry on a
> full tile. KIDS_184.0_-1.5 is a good test case, since it shows bar
> problems in at least g, r and i. Could you compare the photometry for
> these coadds:
>
> band:  old object_id                new object_id
> u: ce4fc4615d66ebf2e0407d81e60e07f4 D2DE8960273B568DE0407D81E60E7CAD
> g: ce4cd66f33e9ad69e0407d81e60e6525 D2DE4D015103EF62E0407D81E60E7A67
> r: ce4cfe555662aa8ee0407d81e60e6745 D2ED2945BFE943D9E0407D81E60E02BC
> i: ce4ebb600dd0e946e0407d81e60e7a9d D2DE896026D9568DE0407D81E60E7CAD
>
> These are all three improved by the new algorithm, although i still
> shows residual bars. The u band image is visually improved as well,
> although this is a side-effect. Links to the dbviewer are on the wiki:
>     http://wiki.astro-wise.org/projects:kids:tbarvignetting
>
> Greetings,
> Hugo
>

> On 09/01/13 13:52, Nicola R. Napolitano wrote:
>> Hi Hugo and all,
>>
>> the corrected images look very good, nice job.
>> We had a quick check to the image that looked worse than the others with
>> clear severe features for CCD vignetting, i.e. KIDS_175.0_-0.5i from the
>> wiki page.
>> In attachment the catalogs before and after the correction. Red are all
>> sources, green the "good" ones.
>> The situation is indeed improved and also if there remains some slight
>> horizontal features in the coadd in the area of CCD82, the catalogs are
>> note significantly affected. Of course we want to look in more details
>> at the extracted sources in that area.
>>
>> All other images you sent in your examples with residual CCD gaps did
>> not actually present spurious detection in catalogs, thus we expect the
>> improvement here is on the photometry measurement uncertainty.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Nicola
>>

>> On 1/9/13 9:56 AM, Hugo Buddelmeijer wrote:
>>> Dear KiDS members,
>>>
>>> An improved background subtraction algorithm for RegriddedFrames was
>>> created to remove the vignetting effect at the edges of the CCDs. We
>>> (Groningen) plan to use the method for KIDS ESO DR1.
>>>
>>> * Example *
>>> See this example CoaddedRegriddedFrame of KIDS_184.0_-0.5 in r:
>>> before: http://tinyurl.com/arce9oj
>>> after: http://tinyurl.com/aso2q5k
>>> And in the i-band, KIDS_131.0_-1.5:
>>> before: http://tinyurl.com/b33pu47
>>> after: http://tinyurl.com/a3muamz
>>>
>>> * Procedure *
>>> The method is selected by choosing BACKGROUND_SUBTRACTION_TYPE 4 for a
>>> RegriddedFrame. (Only in 'current', not yet in 'AWBASE'.) This performs
>>> the following:
>>> 1) Create a mask to flag all sources and bad pixels.
>>> 2) Calculate the median value of the background pixels of each row.
>>> 3) Subtract this median value from the row.